The history of St. Patrick’s Parish is one of faith, growth, and dedication spanning more than 160 years.
In March 1862, the cornerstone of St. Patrick’s Church was laid by Archbishop John Hughes, marking the humble beginnings of the parish community. A year later, in March 1863, St. Patrick’s Parish was officially incorporated.
As Staten Island grew, so too did the parish. In November 1914, St. Ann’s Parish in Dongan Hills was established from St. Patrick’s territory, a sign of the Church’s expanding presence on the Island.
A few years later, in July 1919, the Sisters of St. Dorothy arrived, bringing with them a spirit of service and education that would help shape generations of parish families. In December 1920, the North American Province of the Sisters of St. Dorothy was officially founded, with the convent at St. Patrick’s serving as its first Provincial House.
Education became a cornerstone of parish life under Fr. Thomas McLaughlin, who established St. Patrick’s first elementary school in September 1930, followed by the opening of St. Patrick’s Academy High School in November 1932. Though the Academy closed in June 1950, the commitment to Catholic education continued to flourish.
In May 1960, St. Charles Parish in Oakwood was formed from St. Patrick’s, further extending the reach of the Church’s mission. That same year, in September, a new school building was dedicated by Francis Cardinal Spellman, followed by the opening of a school addition and convent in September 1967. The new facilities were formally dedicated the next year by Msgr. Patrick Gallagher to Archbishop Terence J. Cooke.
The 1980s brought a period of renewal and growth. In September 1982, the Church underwent a major renovation, followed by a school expansion in September 1989, led by Msgr. John M. McCarthy and dedicated by Cardinal John O’Connor. By June 1990, the expansion included a cafeteria, gymnasium, parish and school offices, library, auditorium, computer lab, and kindergarten, reflecting the parish’s continued investment in its future.
Under Msgr. McCarthy’s leadership, further parish and church improvements were completed between 2001 and 2010. The community joyfully celebrated the 150th anniversary of St. Patrick’s Church in March 2012, honoring its long legacy of faith.
That same spirit of continuity marked the leadership transitions that followed: Msgr. McCarthy’s retirement in July 2014, and the installation of Msgr. Jeffrey P. Conway as the parish’s 17th pastor in October 2014. Under his guidance, improvements to the church, school, and worship center were completed in 2017, 2018, and 2019.
In September 2019, the parish celebrated another milestone—the 100th anniversary of St. Patrick’s School, commemorating a century of Catholic education.
Most recently, in March 2023, Rev. Robert W. Dillon was installed as the 18th pastor of St. Patrick’s, continuing the proud tradition of faith, service, and community that began with the laying of a cornerstone more than 160 years ago.